
This is how we had THE CONVERSATION.
I wanted Corey and I to have THE CONVERSATION (someone cue the dramatic background music) but I didn't want it to be one of those goofy infamous "DTR's" that everyone dreads and makes fun of.
I was feeling too shy to just say to him, "Look Dude, I like you. Do you like me...I mean I like you, if you like me...I mean...do you like me...?
I was slightly tempted to send him a letter with the following:
Will you go out with me?
YES NO MAYBE
*please circle one
YES NO MAYBE
*please circle one
If you went to Elementary School you will know what I am talking about. (Ha! Even though I didn't, I found this out.)
All that seemed too complicated and I wanted to save on postage. So, being the witty genius that I am...hehe...I used the technique that all the old masters used...Plato...Aesop...Disney:
AN ANALOGY.
Here it is:
I started out with, "Let's say you want to eat chocolate cake." Now, I am really grateful that Corey is not easily distracted because it is a little disputed fact that almost all men would have stopped the conversation there.
COREY: Yes, yes, I do want chocolate cake.
ELIZABETH: No, no dear. It's not about chocolate cake. What I am saying is let's theoretically say that you wanted chocolate cake.
COREY: Mmmm Hmmm! I do want some!
EXASPERATED ELIZABETH: No, no...DEAR! It's not about chocolate cake! It's an analogy...cause I am a genius and I don't want to embarrass myself!
Like I said, I am glad this didn't become more complicated than it needed to be. i was trying to compare dating/marrying to eating chocolate cake...you get the picture.
He also was getting the picture (sigh of relief). I continued,
"Ok, let's say that ever since you were little this idea of "chocolate cake" had been floating around. And you have always wanted it and were so excited to finally have it. But, let's say you had tasted some frosting before and then you developed a stomach ache...so now you are scared to just jump in and eat the whole dang thing...but you know that chocolate cake is such an awesome thing, and so many people tell you it is awesome and you really want some even though you are scared..."
Then I got more brave.
"Basically, this is how I feel. I want to eat chocolate cake, but I am not sure you want to eat chocolate cake with me...what if you only want to taste it with me...what if you want to taste it with other people...what if, once you taste it, you don't like it....what if we get sick after we eat because we ate it at the wrong time, or too much..."
Corey, stopped me then and in his very manly and "Last of the Mohichans" like voice said,
"Baby, I want to eat chocolate cake with you for the rest of my life and no one else, ever. And I want to eat chocolate cake right now."
I was shocked. I was not expecting him to be so forward! And I was worried he didn't know what I had been saying.
SHOCKED ELIZABETH: Whoa. Back up. We need to be clear on exactly are we talking about!
NEXT SCENE: Two months later in a quiet snowy neighborhood, the young couple...
......And the rest is a recipe made in Heaven...Ha! Kind of cheesy...or chocolaty...ahahahha...ok, I'll stop!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautiful story! I got all goosebump-y just reading it. I must admit that I'm a little jealous of your amazingly creative way of recording life.
ReplyDelete